Cannabidiol (CBD) is well known in the skin care industry because of its benefits. This natural remedy has been popular over several decades for its functions in pain relief, mental well-being, psychological disorders, gut issues, joint pain, and other therapeutic benefits.
There’s also significant evidence suggesting CBD oil may benefit skin health. CBD skin care products can help manage skin conditions such as eczema and acne for all skin types. Its antioxidant properties allow it to soothe skin and improve skin texture and skin quality.
So, how is CBD beneficial to the skin, and what CBD skincare products are on the market?
What is CBD?
CBD is a naturally occurring chemical compound derived from the industrial hemp plant. This natural compound is non-psychoactive and has an anti-inflammatory effect. CBD effectively manages chronic pain, anxiety disorders, skin diseases, and other conditions.
There are several different types of CBD:
- Full-spectrum CBD: consists of all the active compounds, including less than 0.3% THC.
- Broad-spectrum CBD: contains all the active ingredients except for THC.
- CBD isolate: contains the purest CBD.
There are also CBD products made with hemp seed oil from hemp plants. Hemp CBD products typically contain less than 0.3 percent THC, while CBD derived from cannabis plants generally has much higher THC levels.
How CBD Oil is Revolutionizing the Skincare Industry
CBD products for skincare have increasingly become popular over the last few years. The CBD skin care industry is currently focused on plant derivatives to boost its sales. Hemp-derived CBD products are federally legal, and this legal status and natural skin-soothing properties of CBD have expanded the use of CBD products for skin care.
CBD-based skin care products have attracted the spotlight of multiple well-known cosmetics brands such as Ulta Beauty, Sephora, and Estée Lauder. These top cosmetic brands have launched beauty care CBD-infused product lines.
The revolution brought about by CBD in the skincare industry results from its excellent characteristics, such as regulation of oil production and anti-aging properties. A study by Million Insights has reported a significant expansion of the global market for CBD skin care products.
Top CBD Skin Benefits
CBD works differently based on a user’s natural reaction. The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can significantly improve symptoms for many patients, and CBD may have significant benefits to your skin when you use it appropriately. Recent studies found that applying a high-quality topical CBD can improve symptoms of acne, eczema, itching, and other rarer skin problems.
CBD has other potential benefits for those with acne, signs of aging, and uneven or blemished skin.
CBD skin care is widely used to treat:
- Inflammatory skin
CBD can help combat inflammatory skin conditions because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Scientists and doctors are still researching the benefits of the long-term use of CBD on the skin. Recent studies have shown evidence of its anti-inflammatory effects that help lower skin inflammation.
- Itchiness and Dryness
Topical CBD products can help combat irritation and calm the skin. Also, evidence shows that CBD can be an incredibly effective treatment for sensitive skin. A 2019 study shows CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that can help manage itchy and dry skin.
- Wrinkles and Aging
Oxidative stress usually accelerates aging. CBD’s antioxidant properties reduce oxidative stress and slow skin aging and wrinkles.
CBD contains multiple compounds with anti-inflammatory, oil-reducing, and antimicrobial properties that may aid in treating acne.
Are CBD Skin Care Products Safe?
CBD-derived products are generally considered safe to use. They have been legalized since they do not contain illegal amounts of THC.
You may continue using your CBD skin care product if it does not result in rashes, scratches, irritation, reddening, or burns. Even if allergic reactions occur, they are typically a result of the other ingredients in CBD products, such as a preservative, dye, or fragrance.
Other compounds commonly found in CBD products, such as vitamin C, lavender oil, and other essential oils, are also safe to use.
What are the Different Types of CBD Skin Care Products?
CBD is available in different forms, and customers can choose whatever type suits them best. This availability in multiple forms is one of the things driving its market expansion and popularity.
- CBD creams and lotions: are commonly used for skin hydration and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- CBD serum: contains vitamin E that, helps in skin hydration and moisturizes the skin.
- CBD balms: meant to be used as muscle rubs and lip balms used for chapped lips.
- CBD oil: helps treat acne and prevent acne scars due to its anti-inflammatory, oil-reducing, and antimicrobial properties.
- CBD gummies: help achieve clearer and more youthful skin by working with your body’s endocannabinoid system to decrease inflammation and stress.
CBD sprays, roll-ons, masks, cleansers, ointments, and CBD capsules are also popular topical products used for skin care.
Important: Always consult a healthcare professional for advice on the best CBD skin care product to add to your routine.
Where to Buy CBD Skin Care Products
Finding an authentic CBD skin care product can be overwhelming as there are so many brands to choose from. If you’re considering incorporating CBD into your skincare routine, choose a brand with trustworthy and reputable third-party testing. You should research and buy CBD beauty products from retailers that provide products that rejuvenate the skin’s natural strength, complexion, and healing.
The best practice is to buy from official stores. Official retailers have CBD-based products that are safer than non-prescription alternatives. Remember to consult with a dermatologist or healthcare professional if you plan to add CBD to your everyday life. Doing this will help determine the right CBD product for your skin.
Cannabidiol is a preferred drug choice for skin health for many people worldwide. CBD skin care products are helpful against acne, inflammatory skin diseases, and other skin disorders. You can use them to help manage irritation, redness, and dry skin, among other skin issues.
The anti-inflammatory benefits of CBD can help treat skin diseases. CBD relieves pain, reduces swelling, and quells skin allergies. CBD can help improve sleep patterns and sleep while providing powerful antioxidants as an anti-inflammatory agent. It also regulates oil production and helps fight photoaging by reducing wrinkles.
- Kubala, Jillian. “6 Benefits and Uses of CBD Oil (Plus Side Effects).” Healthline, Healthline Media, 26 Nov. 2021, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cbd-oil-benefits.
- “CBD Oil: 9 Science-Backed Benefits.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 16 June 2022, https://www.forbes.com/health/body/cbd-oil-benefits/.
- Peter Grinspoon, MD. “Cannabidiol (CBD): What We Know and What We Don’t.” Harvard Health, 24 Sept. 2021, https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476.
- Brennan, Dan. “CBD: Health Benefits, Risks, Dosage, and More.” WebMD, WebMD, 1 Dec. 2020, https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-cbd#:~:text=Proponents%20of%20CBD%20oil%20and,diseases%2C%20depression%2C%20and%20anxiety.
- Mudd, Dr. Leslie. “Does CBD Oil Have THC? Ask a Pharmacist.” Cornbread Hemp™, 1 Sept. 2020, https://www.cornbreadhemp.com/blogs/learn/does-cbd-have-thc.
- “CBD and Eczema.” CBD Clinicals, 20 Dec. 2019, https://cbdclinicals.com/cbd-oil-for-eczema/.